Friday 19 June 2009

Refugee Day at Auchmuty High School

Well, today was my first attempt at running a session for Amnesty International - at Auchmuty High School for Refugee Week. And I enjoyed it! I had a colleague (a 'proper' speaker from Amnesty) there to help me. We showed a DVD about the refugee crisis in Darfur (refugees in their own country!) and then they pupils had a chance to play a game called "The Great Escape". In this game they had to pretend they were refugees trying to run for the border and safety. They had decisions to make along the way which impacted on their flight - some would cause them to leave refugees behind, some caused them to take longer than they wanted.

The kids were really up for it (most of them) and I hope that they got something from it. Many were disappointed when I told them that their decision to ignore the possibility of a mine field caused the death of the whole party!!

A great experience for me, and I hope a good experience for the pupils.

No comments: